Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Money Making Ideas

I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out some way I can contribute to the household income.

Growing and selling veggies is out because the park won't let me have a garden. I thought about doing some containers, but I can't afford to buy the pots and dirt necessary for this. I'm considering different containers I already own to perhaps find some that are feasible for pot plants. Oh now that did not come out the way I had intended! Oopsies!

I thought of selling compost, but again I am not allowed to have a compost pile. I was considering trying to use a garbage can to compost, but I just don't think it is realistic for what I need.

A worm farm is probably a fine idea! I have plenty of yard clippings, paper, and coffee grounds (coffee is my best friend) I can use. Problem is again I'm not allowed to have anything sitting outside! I really don't want worms in my house. I could possibly put them on my deck though. I would have to find a way to keep them warm and active in the winter time though. I could sell to the fishermen we have in the neighborhood. I could also sell the castings to people as fertilizer/compost.

Along with the worm idea I had thought about rabbits. I could put the hutches on the deck and no one would notice, right? RIGHT? (Can you say redneck?) The warm poo would keep my worms active and the act of composting would in turn keep the rabbits warmer. The worms could eat the rabbit poo and on top of the uses I would find for my worms, I would be able to sell rabbits as pets or meat. The problem with both of these again is the initial start-up costs. grrrr and it was such a good idea! I could even use the rabbits as meat myself, but I would have to find some place to take them for slaughter and butcher because I know I couldn't get away with that here!

Too bad I couldn't find a farm that could use a beginning farm hand! I could get practical experience and pay all in one fell swoop. Problems with this idea....it's past fall harvest and the farms won't be hiring until next season. I don't even know how to go about looking for a farm job....or marketing myself for one. My husband would have to drop me off before he went to work at four-thirty in the morning and no one would be home to get the child off to school.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be glad to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment