Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Books

So in the meantime I guess I just have to keep learning. I have a couple of books that seem to be good over all type learning aides. They at least give an idea of the things you should know if you are going to homestead.

The first book is The Encyclopedia of Country Living 10th edition by Carla Emery. This book is a good basic source of information. It covers a little bit of everything, but doesn't really go into too much detail about anything. This book covers gardening with regular vegetables, but it also covers grains, grasses, canes, trees, bushes, and brambles (think blackberries). There is also a chapter on food preservation. Then there is information on livestock. Poultry, sheep, pigs, cows, goats, sheep, rabbits, and bees. It tells what each animal needs as far as basic shelter and food, but it also lists common ailments and treatments. There are tons of recipes included and she lists other sources for information. Over all not a bad book!

The next book I have is, The Back to the Basics Handbook by Abigail R. Gehring. I love, love, love this book! This book is easier to read than the previously mentioned book and it's packed with lots of information. The book covers how to pick and buy country property, how to build a log cabin, stone house, and barn. It also covers water sources, sewer options (I didn't even know how a septic system worked before reading this book), and fences. Part two of the book covers alternative power sources such as wood for heat, solar, wind, and little discussed hydro power. It wouldn't be much help unless it covered gardening and livestock, which it does along with fish farming and beekeeping. It also explains how to slaughter and butcher the animals as well as preserve the hide and meat and vegetables. Cheese making, butter, and buttermilk are also covered. It briefly discusses natural dyes, spinning, herbal medicine, soap-making, candle-making, and even basket making! I really like this book because it has tons of pictures and diagrams.

Neither of these books go into a whole lot of depth. It's more like a basic guide to start you off. From these sources you can get a good idea of what you are going to need to homestead. I like the chapters in the second book that cover old time skills. You don't really need those skills to homestead, but many of these skills are disappearing and I feel it is a good idea to preserve them by learning the skill and passing it on. I am looking forward to trying my hand at some of these. The up to date information on alternative power sources is also a must read! I was surprised by the information on hydro power. When I think of hydro power, I think of a big old river all dammed up, but you don't necessarily need that.

Well until next time, I will be busy dreaming of the day I will be able to use some of this knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment